Friday, March 9, 2012

Walt in the NOW!


After searching for quite some time on Walt in popular culture, I came across these three items.

I found that Walt, like many other writers and even just famous people, have their quotes put across some sort of landscape picture.  Anyone can put a quote over a picture!  But this picture is by far my favorite!  It makes reference to Walt's form of poetry.  I read somewhere that Walt is known as the father of free verse, so this picture is not only true, but witty, OR should I say, whitty. Plus, the dog is wearing glasses.  Extra funny points for that.  I have no clue why, but its funny to me!


Upon my search, I found this comic strip by Stephan Thomas Pastis who is the creator of a syndicated comic strip called "Pearls Before Swine"  which runs in hundreds of newspapers around the world.  I came across a particular comic about Walt and Twitter!  It talks about Walt's poetry in relation to twitter.  His sentences and much of his poems were so long that you probably can't fit a lot of the lines in 140 characters or less.  Imagine if Walt did tweet.  He would have abbreviated everything!  Plus, 140 characters is limiting what Walt needed to say.  I don't think he would've liked having limitations for expression.



Lastly, I FOUND WALT WHITMAN BEER!!!!! Or well it is called Walt Wit, but it's beer! And his portrait is on the bottle!!  The Philadelphia Brewing Co has a beer dedicated to him.  The description of the beer goes like this:

"The American poet, Walt Whitman, once portrayed a sunset over Philadelphia as "...a broad tumble of clouds, with much golden haze and profusion of beaming shaft and dazzle". Pour yourself a bottle of Walt Wit Belgian-Style White Ale and see what he was talking about. A pinch of spice and a whisper of citrus lend complexity to this fragrant and satisfying ale.
Walt Wit - It's Transcendentally Delicious."

Wasn't it in "Song of Myself" where he wanted the reader to taste him?  "You settled your head athwart my hips and gently turned over upon me.  And parted the shirt from my bosom-bone, and plunged your tongue to my barestript heart" (3).  Whoa!  So by drinking this beer, you really do get a taste of Walt?



So those are my fun findings of Walt in popular culture.  But I leave you with this photo.  Walt and Thom Yorke...TWINSIES!!!





2 comments: