Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Project to Develop

I have decided that I would like to develop the project in which we tracked the poem Song for Occupations throughout the different editions of Leaves of Grass.  Maybe I could track more than just Song for Occupations and come up with my own conclusion as to why Walt made these changes.  There are so many reasons as to why he made changes.  Was it the publishers?  Was it his own personal views? Was it that America was changing and so were the people reading his poems?  Why couldn't he just leave it the way it was?  I would have to figure which poems I would be tracking and do additional research about the questions that have been asked.  I think it would be wise of me to use the Whitman archives website as well as Specimen Days.  The thing about this is that no one will ever know the real reason, but then again that is the fun part! Speculate and come up with my own hypothesis!!

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of tracking one poem . . . perhaps you'll never find the ultimate rationale for changes etc. . . .but you can certainly make some interesting arguments etc. not just about causes but about effects . . . how the changes alter the poem, leaves of grass etc.

    ReplyDelete